Boost Your Mood Naturally: The Role of Food and Supplements in Mental Health
Tags: healthy (56), wellness (56), organic (22), natural remedies (20), community (11), mental health (10), supplements (9)
Good Harvest Market exists because its customers believe that what they eat, drink and put on and in their bodies affects their health. Food and supplements can affect not just their physical health, but their mental health as well. May is Mental Health Month awareness month, and this blog post details the importance of diet in helping improve Mental Health and some specifics on which foods and supplements may be beneficial in that regard.
Mental illness affects millions of people worldwide, and it can be challenging to manage. While professional help is essential for those struggling with mental illness, a healthy diet and supplements can also help. Here are some foods and supplements that have been shown to improve mental health:
Part 1: Foods to combat mental illness
- Fruits and Vegetables: Eating a variety of fruits and vegetables can improve mental health by providing essential vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. According to a study published in the Journal of Affective Disorders in 2018, people who ate a diet high in fruits and vegetables had a lower risk of depression.
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Omega-3 fatty acids found in fatty fish, walnuts, and flaxseeds have been shown to improve mood and reduce symptoms of depression. A study published in the Journal of Psychiatric Research in 2016 found that people who consumed more omega-3s had lower levels of depression.
- Whole Grains: Whole grains provide complex carbohydrates that help stabilize blood sugar levels, which can affect mood and energy levels. A study published in the American Journal of Psychiatry in 2017 found that people who ate a diet high in refined carbohydrates had a higher risk of depression.
- Lean Proteins: Lean proteins such as chicken, fish, and beans provide amino acids that are important for neurotransmitter production, which can affect mood and anxiety levels. A study published in the Journal of Clinical Psychiatry in 2017 found that people who ate a diet high in protein had lower levels of anxiety.
Part 2: Supplements to improve mental illness
- Probiotics: Probiotics can support a healthy gut microbiome, which has been linked to reduced symptoms of anxiety and depression. A study published in the journal Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics in 2019 found that probiotics were effective in reducing symptoms of depression and anxiety.
- Vitamin D: Vitamin D plays a crucial role in brain function and mood regulation. A study published in the Journal of Psychopharmacology in 2013 found that vitamin D supplementation improved symptoms of depression in people with low vitamin D levels.
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids: In addition to food sources, omega-3 supplements have also been shown to improve mental health outcomes. A study published in the Journal of Clinical Psychiatry in 2015 found that omega-3 supplements reduced symptoms of depression and anxiety.
- Herbal Supplements: Herbal supplements like St. John's Wort or ashwagandha may help improve mood and reduce anxiety. A study published in the Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews in 2016 found that St. John's Wort was effective in reducing symptoms of depression.
Good Harvest Market is a natural and organic grocery store that offers a wide variety of foods and supplements that can support mental health. Here are some ways that Good Harvest Market can help:
- Quality, Nutrient-Dense Foods: Good Harvest Market offers a wide variety of nutrient-dense whole foods such as fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, lean proteins, and healthy fats. These foods provide essential nutrients that are important for mental health, such as B vitamins, magnesium, and omega-3 fatty acids.
- Organic and Local Products: Good Harvest Market prioritizes organic and locally sourced products, which are often higher in nutrients and lower in harmful chemicals. Eating organic and locally grown foods can support the gut microbiome, reduce inflammation, and improve overall health outcomes.
- Supplements and Functional Foods: Good Harvest Market also offers a variety of supplements and functional foods that can support mental health, such as probiotics, herbal supplements, and adaptogenic herbs.
In conclusion, maintaining good mental health requires a comprehensive approach that includes professional help, lifestyle changes, and a healthy diet. Eating a diet rich in fruits and vegetables, whole grains, lean proteins, and healthy fats, as well as supplementing with vitamins and herbal supplements, can support mental health outcomes. At Good Harvest Market, we are committed to providing high-quality, nutrient-dense foods, supplements, and functional foods that can support mental health. By making informed choices about what we eat and supplement with, we can all take steps towards better mental health and overall wellness.
Shop Healthy, Shop Local, Shop Good Harvest!