Make the Most of Your Cleanse
Are you planning on doing a detox or cleanse this winter? Here are some natural supplements that can help increase the effectiveness of a detox and ease some of those uncomfortable symptoms that tend to come out when the body is cleansing.
- Protein powder – to provide essential amino acids such as glutamine, glycine and methionine. Recommended products: Non-denatured Whey protein or brown rice protein such as Protein Energizer by Rainbow Light.
- Herbal detox support – choose herbs that enhance liver and kidney function and cleanse the blood such as Milk Thistle, Artichoke, Burdock and Dandelion. Example: Milk thistle Dandelion by Oregon’s Wild Harvest
- Detox tea – 3-4 cups/day. Ex: Cran-Apple Detox by Urbal.
- NAC (N-acetyl cysteine) – an amino acid that supports the liver’s ability to detoxify and is the precursor to your body’s #1 antioxidant glutathione.
- Vitamin C – this antioxidant helps protect the body’s tissues.
- Magnesium – a common deficiency, needed for hundreds of enzyme reactions.
- Fiber - fiber is a must during cleansing as it helps binds toxins and wastes in the digestive tract ensuring that they are eliminated from the body. Psyllium seed and flax seed are excellent for this purpose. Example: Triple Fiber by Renew Life.
Specific Issues and Easing Discomfort
- “Die off” reactions and symptoms due to the body’s release of toxins such as mild headache, flu-like symptoms, general ill feeling, weakness, skin rash, irritability
- Activated charcoal – 3 capsules every 3-4 hours for up to 4 days. Also helpful if there is gas and bloating
- Epson Salt baths and Sweating (Saunas, Bikram Yoga)
- Constipation: Magnesium, Fiber or herbs with laxative effect such as Cascara Sagrada, Cape Aloe, and Rhubarb. Ex: Cleanse More by Renew Life.
- Loose stools:
- ½ tsp Carob powder in apple sauce 2-3x/day.
- Activated charcoal - see above recommendations.
- Peppermint and lavender essential oil applied to the temples. Hot foot bath with cold compress to the head.
Dr. Joanne Aponte is a Board Certified Naturopathic Doctor & Holistic Wellness Expert. She is available in the store every Tuesday & Thursday from 12-7 to help answer your questions regarding natural wellness.
Disclaimer: The information contained in the GHM Wellness Blog is intended for educational purposes only. The information is not intended to be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment of any medical condition. Always consult with your personal physician or other qualified health care provider before making any changes to your health care routine.