Eat Oatmeal Every Day!
Oatmeal is a healthy breakfast option that you could never tire of eating every day – just think about changing it up by adding some fruit or nuts. Not only is it a great way to start your day, it also makes a terrific snack as it is protein-packed, full of fiber and low on fats. Oats are designed to boost your energy levels and help you lead a healthy lifestyle. Check out this yummy recipe for Banana Oatmeal Snack Cake. For more information, click here.
Healthy Banana Oatmeal Snack Cake
- 1 ½ cups (150g) instant oats (measured like this and gluten-free, if necessary)
- 1 ¼ cups (150g) whole wheat or gluten-free* flour (measured like this)
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp (14g) coconut oil or unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 2 large egg whites, room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup (264g) mashed banana (about 2 medium)
- ½ cup (120g) plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup (60mL) pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup (60mL) nonfat milk
- Preheat the oven to 350°F, and coat a 9”-square pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the oats, flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together the coconut oil, egg whites, and vanilla. Add in the mashed banana and Greek yogurt, stirring until no large lumps of yogurt remain. Stir in the maple syrup. Alternate between adding the oat mixture and milk, beginning and ending with the oat mixture, and stirring just until incorporated. (For best results, add the oat mixture in 3 equal parts.)
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan. Bake at 350°F for 26-29 minutes or until the center feels firm to the touch and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool completely to room temperature in the pan before slicing and serving.
Recipe courtesy of Amy's Healthy Baking